America’s birthday is coming up and what better way to celebrate than with a festive red, white and blue dessert? Whether you’re headed to a pool party or a barbecue hosted by your second cousin twice removed, it’s best that you don’t show up empty handed. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, so I always show up with a dessert. My favorite dessert for the 4th of July is this quick and easy Flag Cake Dessert with Cream Cheese Icing. SO GOOD. You only need a few simple ingredients (most of which you probably already have in your kitchen). Also, the total preparation time is about 1 hour, which is perfect because that’s usually the extent of my attention span when baking. I used this exact recipe to bake one of these cakes for my boyfriend yesterday and he LOVED it.
Flag Cake Dessert with Cheesecake Icing
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 box white cake + ingredients listed on box
- strawberries + blueberries
- cream cheese icing
- Preheat your oven and follow instructions listed on the cake box (I typically preheat to 350 degrees fahrenheit)
- Prepare cake in pan (I used a 9×9 glass pan)
- It depends on the instructions, but I let it cook for 30 minutes and let it cool for 30 minutes before putting the icing on
- Create a rectangle of blueberries in the top left corner
- Cut strawberries in half and place in rows
- If you aren’t immediately serving, I would place it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours
I was pretty impressed with the final result if I must say so myself. What’s your favorite 4th of July treat? I’d love to hear in the comments section below!